Religion and fantasy

Anna Skarzynska theania at freeuk.com
Mon Jul 23 19:31:03 EDT 2001

Rebecca:
> I occasionally will be upset by an overly religious book...I feel almost
> alienated, and I know others who feel the same about Lewis, and even some
of
> Cooper's later books in the Dark is Rising series.

I must say that, while I have respect for people's religious beliefs, it
rapidly vanishes as soon as anyone preaches at me, either directly or by
implication. That is not the same as having characters who have a religion.
In the Exile series by Julian May (which I am rereading at the moment) many
of the characters have a religion, but it's presented as just part of the
diversity of humanity (and alien-nity). In Eco's Name of the Rose everyone
is a Catholic and the world view is presented in a non-anachronistic way
through the characters' eyes and minds. In both cases the works were greatly
enriched by the religious dimension.
Compare and contrast this approach with that of Stephen Lawhead in his
Arthurian retellings and that Celtic series. Here, he doesn't specifically
declare himself as Christian or anything else. But I remember being
increasingly irritated by his monotheistic and male-centred bias. So
irritated it put me off his books for good. I cannot be very specific here,
because it's ages now since I read anything by him.

Ania