Religion and fantasy

Nat Case ncase at hedbergmaps.com
Mon Jul 23 15:24:25 EDT 2001

Georgia: no offense taken from me, at least! I have thought about
this some myself, and I think the way you phrased the question
triggered the response that in a way the question is itself a red
herring. the relation of one's beliefs to an orthodoxy has little to
do with ability to create fantasy, or maybe even has an inverse
relationship.

Here's what I think:  Everyone has beliefs that can be classified as
"religious." Some of us have beliefs that follow received teaching
more-or-less closely, and some of us have beliefs that allow us to
participate in religious groups (churches, synagogues, covens, etc.)
even if we are not by nature orthodox. Some have beliefs that by
their nature put them outside religious communities.

Jones' writing, and indeed most fantasy, has an element of religious
thought-experiment behind it, some more blatant, some less. Because
fantasy writers are tinkering with basic cosmological questions, you
would think they were all deeply agnostic, but this simply isn't so.
Orson Scott Card and Diane Duane, are, respectively, devoutly Mormon
and Catholic. Those are two I can think of off the top of my head,
but I'm sure there are many many others.

I actually think clear religious belief (which can be easier within a
religious tradition) can be an aid to thinking "outside the box." If
you're struggling to figure out the basics in the real world, how
much energy do you have left to figure it out in an alternative world?

But the key in this regard to being a good writer of any kind is (it
seems to me) less the makeup of one's belief system and more the lack
of fear about one's beliefs (and lack of fear in general) that let
you use them in your work unprotected.

Nat