what i dislike about witch week's ending (spoilerish)

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Wed Jul 18 20:05:15 EDT 2001

On Wed, 18 Jul 2001, Rebecca Ganetzky wrote:

> Don't really feel like a proper response right now, but...
> WARNING: Contains science (I have friends who avoid it like the
> plague)
> SPOILER

> That bothered me too, because LofCC and CL made very clear that DWJ
> uses the very common theory of Everest universes (a universe s
> created for every event that can go seperate ways), even WW states
> that.  But Everestian universes are an actual theory (Quantam
> Mechanics), and it doesn't feel right to b able to reverse the
> process.

Well, for one thing, the way worlds are created in Chrestomanci's
multiverse isn't quite the very common theory suggested by Quantum
Mechanics; there are a number of significant differences.

One is this: The theory suggested by QM requires that *every* event,
down to the smallest alteration of the smallest subatomic particle,
has a new universe attached to it (with the result that there are a
lot of very similar universes). In Chrestomanci's multiverse, only
certain types of event result in the creation of a new world (in
LOCC, there are less than a thousand worlds in all, and they're all
very different).

Chrestomanci says in WW that it's unheard of for two different worlds
to be as similar as Janet's and that one.

He also says that the process that created the WW world was not a
proper world split, and that the WW world is not a real world in its
own right, but a sort of distorted copy or fragment of a real world
(which explains why it's not more different from the real world, and
why the differences that do exist have nothing to do with Guy Fawkes
blowing up the Houses of Parliament).

IOW, the recombination of the WW world with the other is not an
unnatural reversal; it's the creation of the WW world in the first
place that was the unnatural reversal.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."