All on topic stuff (Was: Re: dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #336)

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Tue Jul 17 08:10:29 EDT 2001

ferricide/Christian (which would you prefer?)

>>Actually, it got me thinking about how little unanimity there is here
>>on favourites or not-so-favourites.  Pity it's so totally hard to
>>rank DWJs - it would be interesting to compare most-to-least loved
>>lists.
>
>you know, actually, i was seriously considering doing that. i was
>going to put up a DWJ page.. i've been considering it since like
>1997 and i have not been able to, as yet. =) i'm too lazy! anyway, i
>was going to have a book ranking on it, at least, *my* book ranking.
>but i never got around to ranking them.

I think it would probably be a very interesting exercise, which might
induce mental breakdown!  Not to mention the fact that mine would
probably never stay the same for more than a few minutes at a time.
I'd love to see other people's though.

>>See, now I found SWM heavy-handed in the dangers of sexual/sensual
>>repression message, which seems pretty boring anyway.  Or not boring,
>>exactly, but just a bit been-done-beforeish.  (But then I'm half
>>Irish, so maybe the prejudice message in _Dogsbody_ is more palatable
>>to me for that reason. :))
>
>that's true. it is a message that we've seen before. but it seemed
>subtler than the dogsbody thing. though, it's not that subtle, is
>it? oh well, i guess this will force me to reread dogsbody anyway.
>it's been languishing on my shelf so it probably deserves to be
>reread by now.

I think my dislike of SWM is partly due to the really high
expectations I had for it.  I read it next after _Deep Secret_, which
set up huge expectations alone, and I also just *loved* the name.  So
I thought it was going to be amazing.  Then things started seeming
similar to DS, but just pale imitations, and when Zillah went flying
off with her kid (can't remember his name) into huge danger because
her heart was broken, I came closest to a
wanting-to-throw-the-book-against-the-wall moment I've ever had with
DWJ.  Ok, it wasn't all that close, but still. :)

I just didn't have that high expectations for _Dogsbody_, for some
reason.  So only liking it middling was about what I expected, and
therefore didn't bother me.  But the best parts in it for me were the
real canine parts, which are great.  (We got our dog shortly after
I'd read Db for the first time, and I wrote all about her sad story
to the list then, and how it made the Leo bits even better for us,
but I'll spare you the repetition as you don't like dogs. ;) )

>>I haven't read DRH8 for a while, though I liked it when I did.  Did
>>you read it in _Minor Arcana_, with the intro where she talks about
>>writing it?  It is MA which is slightly different in the US version -
>>_Hidden Turnings_, is it?  (Yes, I know I could check the biblio.,
>>but too tired right now.)
>
>you know, i can't remember. i don't have minor arcana. i have all of
>the stories in it in other volumes -- warlock at the wheel,
>everard's ride, and believing is seeing, which i paid like $16 for
>for two stories that i hadn't read elsewhere. =) she comments on
>DRH8 on it in the intro (i just checked) but i don't see anything
>illuminating about its connection to other stories. but i *swear* i
>read somewhere that it is the same universe as hexwood! well, if
>we're lucky, she'll answer my question on dianawynnejones.com and we
>can all find out for sure. =)

No kidding!  I went and looked through the questions which have built
up there since I'd last looked and now can't wait for her next set of
answers!

Hallie.