what i dislike about witch week's ending (spoilerish)

¥ ferricide ferricide at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 16 06:27:49 EDT 2001

>From: Paul Andinach <pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au>
>On Fri, 13 Jul 2001, ¥ ferricide wrote:
>
> > yeah, that's basically it. i didn't went to get into spoiling the
> > book,
>
>I think spoilers will be inevitable, if we want to go into this, so
>I'll insert a spoiler space here:

>'

>,

>.
>.
>.
>

> > but let's just say that not only do i feel like that's a decision
> > chrestomanci really shouldn't have the power to make,
>
>But he *didn't*.
>
>Chrestomanci made a point of refusing to make the decision, and of
>leaving it to the people who would be affected by it.

to be frank i am rather foggy on witch week, not having read it for several
years and not really ever in the mood to attend to the ending properly
because it irritates me. =) so i can't defend my position very well unless i
go reread it for this discussion. =)

>How much have you really thought about this?
>Would you *really* love to do magic if you were in their shoes?

well, of course not. but that doesn't mean that this was the only solution
to the central problem of witch week. besides, i can feel a certain way
without it being precisely logical. =) this is a feeling -- not a thought.
there's a difference.

>I challenge you to find a single person in _Witch Week_ who was happy
>to be a witch.

yes, but that was because of the societal constraints, not because the act
of performing magic made them unhappy. so, if there could've been another
way to get around that problem (no, i don't have any clever suggestions!)
then it could have been alleviated without robbing them of their talents.
though, iirc, it was suggested that they'd be good at something else instead
of magic now. which is a small comfort. =)

> > plus, i had come through the book pulling for them so hard, and it
> > ended up being a dissapointment to find out what happens to them.
>
>Can you be more specific about why the ending was disappointing?

i guess i just like the idea of them getting to keep their powers and having
it all work out in the end. which it certainly doesn't. i dunno, if i
remember the ending correctly it was very star trekkian. "let's meld the two
realities!" ... just doesn't work for me. =) but it's something i can live
with -- DWJ has written so many books that i can afford to dislike a few.