dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #334

Ven ven at vvcrane.fsnet.co.uk
Sun Jul 15 21:04:14 EDT 2001

Hallie wrote
> See, now I found SWM heavy-handed in the dangers of sexual/sensual
> repression message, which seems pretty boring anyway.  Or not boring,
> exactly, but just a bit been-done-beforeish.  (But then I'm half Irish, so
> maybe the prejudice message in _Dogsbody_ is more palatable to me for that
> reason. :))

Mmm I felt the message in SWM seemed a bit out of date (same
problem with the gender war stuff in Aunt Maria). Something that I
appreciated in Dogsbody was that we never actually knew which
side Kathleen's father was fighting on (tho I guess her name is a
clue). Btw I'm one eighth Irish, and  have complicated feelings
about the whole situation there.

Ven

magic, if present, can do almost anything

Diana Wynne Jones