what i dislike about witch week's ending (spoilerish)

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Fri Jul 13 10:07:55 EDT 2001

On Fri, 13 Jul 2001, ¥ ferricide wrote:

> yeah, that's basically it. i didn't went to get into spoiling the
> book,

I think spoilers will be inevitable, if we want to go into this, so
I'll insert a spoiler space here:

'

,

.
.
.

> but let's just say that not only do i feel like that's a decision
> chrestomanci really shouldn't have the power to make,

But he *didn't*.

Chrestomanci made a point of refusing to make the decision, and of
leaving it to the people who would be affected by it.

The decision was made by Charles, who made it because he believed it
was the right thing to do. And I agree with him, and if I were him I'd
do the same.

> i feel quite cheated on behalf of charles and nan because i know i'd
> love to do magic.

How much have you really thought about this?
Would you *really* love to do magic if you were in their shoes?

Remember that, in that world, you would be surrounded by people who
eye you with suspicion, waiting for you to show the slightest sign of
magical ability so that they can set you on fire and prove to the
world that they are down on witches and have no magical ability
themselves, nosirree.

I challenge you to find a single person in _Witch Week_ who was happy
to be a witch.

> plus, i had come through the book pulling for them so hard, and it
> ended up being a dissapointment to find out what happens to them.

Can you be more specific about why the ending was disappointing?

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."