dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #334

¥ ferricide ferricide at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 13 01:13:09 EDT 2001

>From: "Hallie O'Donovan" <hallieod at indigo.ie>
>I think you may be overrating the list's unanimity.  :)  Although I'm

that's good. i haven't been reading for THAT long so i'm bound to make
mistakes. i was mostly commenting on the thread i was responding to -- it
seemed like people weren't into it. just wanted to say that i was.

>Oh well, then!  No, I'd better avoid any remarks that might seem like
>prejudice about dog-haters. :)

touche. =)
i do find it to be a bit heavy-handedly moral. or i did when i read it. as i
said, i haven't been able to make myself read it again. heavy-handed morals
are not something that is usually a part of DWJ's books, and it's one of the
many reasons i love them.

> >deep secret (22) - i haven't seen anyone talking about this one. i
>Oh, you're not alone in loving this one!  It's way up there for lots
>of people, including me.

good. i really hope she revisits this universe. by the way, i posted a
message on dianawynnejones.com in the ask the author section that hasn't
been answered yet .. but what do you guys think? i proposed (or not
proposed, exactly, but suspect, maybe) that deep secret, dragon reserve home
eight, and hexwood are in the same universe. well, i believe it's been
stated for sure that the latter two are. but i'm not sure about DS in
relation to them. the only evidence i have is that rupert refers to an
"albion" once in DS, IIRC. and, of course, my heart wants it to be true
since i adore these three to bits. =)

>How about _Fire and Hemlock_ or _Howl's Moving Castle_?  Any opinions
>on them?  That you feel like sharing, that is. :)

i read fire and hemlock originally when i was like, 12 -- shortly after i'd
discovered lives of christopher chant (my first DWJ) and i didn't get it >at
all<. i realise now that that is not too surprising, since i was a little
young. much later i tracked it down again and reread it, and i loved it. i
was just drop-dead in shock about how good it was. =) but like many (most?)
others i had a seriously difficult time with the ending. i think thanks to
DWJ's comments on dwj.com and posts and such, i have a better understanding
of it nowadays.

at the same time i read F&H for the first time, i read HMC and i liked it OK
but i wasn't as wowed by it as i had been by TLoCC. (it's no shock that i
read those two at the same time, because they were the only two DWJ books my
local library had.) i can see why people like it so much, and i like howl
and sophie both very much, but it's still a middling DWJ book for me. the
same goes for its sequel.

oh, and as a back-at-you: i dunno if everyone's had a chance to read it,
since i think it's EXTREMELY rare, but i happened to have lucked into a copy
of everard's ride. and i really, really like "the true state of affairs."
it's terribly different (and depressing). i would actually say i was shocked
by it -- i mean, it was a shock to read something in that style. but i do
like it very much. i was wondering what everyone else thinks of it.