Newcomer

Ven ven at vvcrane.fsnet.co.uk
Thu Jul 12 20:35:55 EDT 2001

E.L. Buchanan wrote
> About 7 years ago, I am now 19, my father bought me the series of Dalemark
> books at a book fair. I read them in a matter of days and have since devoured

Welcome to the list, I do envy you getting all the Dalemark books
at once. How did the CoD appendix, with the eventual fates of
many characters, strike you?

> any dwj I could get my hands on although before the recent republishing
> finding them was difficult. Along with Hexwood and F&H these remain my
> favourites although I also like her adult books. I can honestly say there are
> no
> dwj books I haven't enjoyed and when an internet search came up with this
> discussion group I couldn't believe how many people love her books like I do
>
> and how many of the comments in teh archive struck a chord with me.
That's how I felt when I found it.
 I don't

> feel so bad now about having an entire shelf devoted to her books and getting
>
> pitying looks from people who have never read her when I explain they are
> childrens books and then try to describe how good they are but just look like
> am justifying reading childrens books at my age.

I thought dear old Harry Potter was supposed to have put a stop to
that sort of predujice these days <g>.  Me I have shelves of kid's
books.

> PS Is it only me that gets a thrill in a book shop when they find a book they
>
> have never read?

Um you mean that book you've been looking for or that book you
would have been looking for had you known it existed ? I mean
most of the books i've never read wouldn't do it for me (principles of
electrical engineering anyone?). I do know that thrill. Does anyone
else find that sometimes rereading just won't do and you just have
to have a new book?
Ven

magic, if present, can do almost anything

Diana Wynne Jones