Hey! An On Topic Post

Ven ven at vvcrane.fsnet.co.uk
Thu Jul 12 20:21:51 EDT 2001

Dorian said about Cart and Cwidder
> Well, yes, okay, I grant you, all that stuff (that I've snipped) does
> happen.  But for some reason, it still *feels* to me like a book in which
> nothing much happens.  I don't know.  I think part of it is that I read all
> four of the series in one go (it had been years since I'd had "Drowned
> Ammet" out of the library), and for me, "Crown of Dalemark" was the best,
> closely followed by "The Spellcoats".  I'm not sure, maybe those two
> overshadowed "Cart and Cwidder" for me.  Or maybe it's just that I could
> never get particularly interested in any of the characters.  Or possibly a
> combination.  At any rate, C&C is still my absolute least favourite DWJ
> book.

It's a road trip book, as are all the Dalemark books essentially.
Each of them has a long journey at it's heart, in C +C the  trip
takes up virtually the whole book. It was the first one i read so I had
no overshadowing problem.

> (back on CoD)
> > > And...and...and...I just love it.  It's a buttercup-yellow book. :-)
> >
> > I absolutley agree, except I think there's some very nice fresh
> > green in there too.
>
> Yes, you're right.  That improbable green of brand-new spring leaves. :-)

It's just like a lovely spanish bowl I have, yellow, with a pattern of
green leaves.
Ven

magic, if present, can do almost anything

Diana Wynne Jones