Hey! An on-topic post!

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Wed Jul 11 17:25:01 EDT 2001

>wow. i find this list of what books people do and do not like rather
>intruiging, because some people have had such opposite reactions to
>books than i have had. so i'll spell out of a little of my opinions
>just to mix it up a bit. feel free to ignore or reply as you so
>desire. =)
>oh, as an added bonus i'll add in my age when i first read the book,
>as that might have something to do with it. for reference, i turned
>24 on 6 june 2001. =)
>
>hexwood (19) - this one totally blew my mind. i do not know how
>anyone can dislike it. its complexly-woven narrative and characters
>wowed me utterly, and it's still one of my top favorite DWJ books.

With you on Hexwood.

>sudden wild magic (21) - well, this isn't exactly a *favorite* of
>mine but it seems to me the list is underrating it. i quite enjoy
>zillah as a character, and i like the little mixture of adult
>situations that add to its emotional depth.

I think you may be overrating the list's unanimity.  :)  Although I'm
one of those who put it fairly near the bottom of my list of DWJ,
there are many who put it at the other end of the spectrum.  I can't
even say my reaction to Zillah is based on my age and fact that I'm a
mother, because iirc Sally's around the same age and also a mother of
two and loves it.  (I didn't get that part wrong, did I Sallyo?)

>dogsbody (17) - uck. i haven't been able to get myself to reread
>this one. what i found to be heavyhanded messages about prejudice
>spoiled it for me. and i don't like dogs. =)

Oh well, then!  No, I'd better avoid any remarks that might seem like
prejudice about dog-haters. :)

>aunt (slash black) maria (21) - i like this one quite well. it's
>also not a favorite, but i would rank it in the better half of her
>books. i guess i just go in for the ones with a girl main character
>among other things. and i like subversion as a theme. =)
>
>the ogre downstairs (21) - i note that people seem to REALLY like
>this one. i feel a bit of a traitor to the cause by, well, not. i
>didn't like it that much at all. and when i tried to pick it up and
>reread it recently i put it down after one chapter. it has very
>samey characters to other DWJ books, minus the depth. imo. it's like
>the DWJ sitcom or something.

Not one of my favourites.  I love bits of it a lot, and think the
whole distorted perception thing works well with the kids, but The
Ogre's transformation into  good guy is a bit too stretched for me.

>witch week (15) - this is the only book with chrestomanci in it that
>i don't particularly like (well, not counting mixed magics, the two
>new stories in which were somewhat of a disappointment for me) ..
>mainly because of the ending. in fact, i pretty much adore it up
>until the ending. when we got a new cat a week after my reread of it
>i quickly christened her dulcinea, in fact. more surprisingly, the
>name stuck! digression aside, the ending really irked me. i felt
>really betrayed on behalf of the characters. maybe i missed
>something.

Do you mean that the way none of the bad stuff really happened irked
you?  Or something else about it?

>deep secret (22) - i haven't seen anyone talking about this one. i
>adore it to bits. rupert is a character that's basically unlike any
>of DWJ's previous, especially with the book being told from his
>perspective. and i seriously go in for maree as well. the
>multi-world thing is one of my favorites, the interwoven plot about
>the koryfidan (i know i spelt that wrong!) empire... i just adore
>it. and it makes me want to inch closer to going to a con in the UK
>just to meet DWJ. =)

Oh, you're not alone in loving this one!  It's way up there for lots
of people, including me.

>on other topics, i can't contribute to my feeling of crown of the
>dalemark because for some reason the details flow out of my head ..
>i've read it twice, but i can't remember most of what happens in it
>all the same. i will say that my favorite dalemark book is
>definitely the spellcoats, though.

How about _Fire and Hemlock_ or _Howl's Moving Castle_?  Any opinions
on them?  That you feel like sharing, that is. :)

Hallie.