Hey! An on-topic post!

¥ ferricide ferricide at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 11 00:36:56 EDT 2001

wow. i find this list of what books people do and do not like rather
intruiging, because some people have had such opposite reactions to books
than i have had. so i'll spell out of a little of my opinions just to mix it
up a bit. feel free to ignore or reply as you so desire. =)
oh, as an added bonus i'll add in my age when i first read the book, as that
might have something to do with it. for reference, i turned 24 on 6 june
2001. =)

hexwood (19) - this one totally blew my mind. i do not know how anyone can
dislike it. its complexly-woven narrative and characters wowed me utterly,
and it's still one of my top favorite DWJ books.

sudden wild magic (21) - well, this isn't exactly a *favorite* of mine but
it seems to me the list is underrating it. i quite enjoy zillah as a
character, and i like the little mixture of adult situations that add to its
emotional depth.

dogsbody (17) - uck. i haven't been able to get myself to reread this one.
what i found to be heavyhanded messages about prejudice spoiled it for me.
and i don't like dogs. =)

aunt (slash black) maria (21) - i like this one quite well. it's also not a
favorite, but i would rank it in the better half of her books. i guess i
just go in for the ones with a girl main character among other things. and i
like subversion as a theme. =)

the ogre downstairs (21) - i note that people seem to REALLY like this one.
i feel a bit of a traitor to the cause by, well, not. i didn't like it that
much at all. and when i tried to pick it up and reread it recently i put it
down after one chapter. it has very samey characters to other DWJ books,
minus the depth. imo. it's like the DWJ sitcom or something.

witch week (15) - this is the only book with chrestomanci in it that i don't
particularly like (well, not counting mixed magics, the two new stories in
which were somewhat of a disappointment for me) .. mainly because of the
ending. in fact, i pretty much adore it up until the ending. when we got a
new cat a week after my reread of it i quickly christened her dulcinea, in
fact. more surprisingly, the name stuck! digression aside, the ending really
irked me. i felt really betrayed on behalf of the characters. maybe i missed
something.

deep secret (22) - i haven't seen anyone talking about this one. i adore it
to bits. rupert is a character that's basically unlike any of DWJ's
previous, especially with the book being told from his perspective. and i
seriously go in for maree as well. the multi-world thing is one of my
favorites, the interwoven plot about the koryfidan (i know i spelt that
wrong!) empire... i just adore it. and it makes me want to inch closer to
going to a con in the UK just to meet DWJ. =)

on other topics, i can't contribute to my feeling of crown of the dalemark
because for some reason the details flow out of my head .. i've read it
twice, but i can't remember most of what happens in it all the same. i will
say that my favorite dalemark book is definitely the spellcoats, though.