Bread Pudding or Rather Brussels Sprouts

Ven ven at vvcrane.fsnet.co.uk
Sun Jul 8 19:51:36 EDT 2001

Jennifer wrote
> This made me think of an autobiography we have at home, of an author called
> Sarah Shears. (I haven't read any of her novels, but this book is good-
> about being a country child during the first world war.) It's called
> "Tapioca For Tea", because her mother made her eat the remains of her
> tapioca at teatime if she wouldn't finish it at lunch, and she couldn't have
> anything else until she did- I haven't read it for years, but I remember the
> description of horrible lumps sitting on her plate and just not being able
> to bring herself to swallow them. (I love tapioca, though maybe that's
> because *my* mother could make it without getting it lumpy.)

Aha, there are two kinds of tapioca: flakes, which produce a nice
creamy pudding, like your mum's and mine, and  just plain tapioca
which does contain these big translucent lumps of stuff (which look
the way you imagine sheep's eyeballs do) and go down in a rather
slithery way, my Auntie disconcerted me with that type once . The
latter must have been what poor Sarah Shears was made to eat.
I've a feeling flakes are all you would find these days.
Ven

"Any reader has the right to say of any text: "But I didn't think it was that good."

Samuel R Delany