More Sherri Tepper (was Re: Good hau;

Gross Family argross at bigpond.net.au
Fri Jul 6 08:33:11 EDT 2001

Ven said:

> I'm not sure it's a book that people who don't know much  about
> paganism or feminism would read.

I think perhaps lots of SF/F readers who don't know much about Paganism
might read it because Hand has by now become a well-known writer.

Big spoiler coming up.........

>               TOTAL RUIN TO THE END OF THE BOOK WILL COME
>              FROM READING THIS SPOILER
>

>                       and the middle, and the beginning

> I feel that what became of Oliver (that was his name?) went quite a
> way toward redressing the balance in favour of the benevolent face
> of the Goddess. In one sense he did die, as everyone thought he
> had, only to be reborn, purged of his torments. He made the
> traditional sacrifice to Cybele (testicles (and all the rest)) and got
> himself a new life.

You know, I think my memory is really going. I can't remember what became of
Oliver! It was only a few years ago that I read it, too.

> > > I read in an interview
> > > of Hand that the whole idea was stimulated by historiacal reading and
> > > research that seemed to suggest that the ancient goddess cults
actually
> > > contained cruel and dark practices such as the sacrifice of men.
> >
> > Yes, I think some, at least, of them did.  I think she's got all her
> > historical and ritual stuff pretty accurate, if not at all pretty. :-)
> >
> > > Maybe after reading this historical stuff she felt
> > > annoyed by what she might have then seen as the idealisation by some
> > > feminists of ancient cultures thought to be ruled by women?
> >
> > Grin.  Plausible theory.  I find that kind of idealisation pretty
> > irritating, anyhow.
>
> Archaeologists hate it too.

I'm not surprised...

Ros