Bread Pudding or Rather Brussels Sprouts

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at ic.ac.uk
Fri Jul 6 05:14:35 EDT 2001

Irina wrote

Ven wrote:
>My parents did this once, they made me sit at the table until I had
>finished my tinned peaches. They appeared to be very indignant
>because tinned peaches were a "treat" (oh how the food tastes of
>the British have changed).

This made me think of an autobiography we have at home, of an author called
Sarah Shears. (I haven't read any of her novels, but this book is good-
about being a country child during the first world war.) It's called
"Tapioca For Tea", because her mother made her eat the remains of her
tapioca at teatime if she wouldn't finish it at lunch, and she couldn't have
anything else until she did- I haven't read it for years, but I remember the
description of horrible lumps sitting on her plate and just not being able
to bring herself to swallow them. (I love tapioca, though maybe that's
because *my* mother could make it without getting it lumpy.)
Jennifer