OT-ish: "A defense of fantasy, with a reading list"

Ruth Pitt ruthssp at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 5 22:05:06 EDT 2001

This rather nice essay appeared in a recent Washington Post Book World.
It's by Michael Dirda, a senior book reviewer for the Post, who is also
a big science fiction adn fantasy fan.  There's no DWJ on his suggested
list of 10 works meant to "appeal to people who care only for
'literature'," but of the works he does mention, the ones I recognize
are quite good - Little, Big; "His Dark Materials"; Gormenghast.  It
makes me think that maybe I ought to try some of the others.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/print/sunday/bookworld/A61397-2001Jun28.html

- Ruth