Hey! An on-topic post!

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Thu Jul 5 14:42:52 EDT 2001

Hallie said...

> Oh, I don't think there's anything wrong with liking TCoD myself.
> People here were just so eloquent about the reasons it wasn't as good
> as others in the series that I felt out on a literary judgment limb.
> Sort of the list-approved canon of DWJ.  :)

Hrm.  I think I must have missed that discussion.  Before my time, perhaps.
Would anyone who doesn't like "Crown of Dalemark" as much as the others care
to tell me why they feel that way?  Because I'm curious.  I loved how modern
Dalemark was like modern our world, but still not our world.  And all the
lovely details like the meal at the inn, and the way Maewen couldn't relate
the Lawschool to the Lawschool she'd visited, at all.  And the
bicycle/horse/bad-guy.  And the word-games to get round the rules (very
"Skiver's Guide", in some ways!).  And Maewen's longing for a bath.
And...and...and...I just love it.  It's a buttercup-yellow book. :-)

> Well, I don't like it as much as F&H or HMC, either - but that would
> be hard!  Still love it.  _Power of Three_? There's my ugly
> confession.  I didn't like that one at all.  I read it out loud to
> Becca and neither of us could muster enough interest to finish it,
> which we passed off as merely being a question of its not reading
> well aloud.  But then I felt morally obliged to make myself finish it
> and I *still* couldn't get into it.

Curious.  What was it about it that you couldn't get into?  From the
beginning, and the tale of how Gair's father won his mother, I was hooked!
For me, that book has strong fairy-tale resonances (without being much like
a fairy-tale, which is odd, but cool).  And it taps into the willing
self-sacrifice thing, which for some reason also fascinates me.

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--
Dorian E. Gray
israfel at eircom.net

"I feel that if a character cannot communicate, the very least he can do is
to shut up!"
--Tom Lehrer