Bread pudding

Irina Rempt ira at rempt.xs4all.nl
Wed Jul 4 05:09:24 EDT 2001

On Tue, 26 Jun 2001, Rebecca Ganetzky wrote:

> I don't think there's anything particularly horrid about bread pudding,

I love bread pudding. When I was living alone I used to have it for
breakfast, or lunch for that matter. With golden syrup, yum! (Can't
get any golden syrup any more the Netherlands, thank God for maple
syrup)

> except that it masq(u?)arades (Okay I'm having a bad spelling day, and I
> loaned out my Pratchett book of the same name) as a dessert, and gets
> offered instead of chocolate. (Any enemy of chocolate is an enemy of mine
> theory?)

Good theory :-) (and it's "masquerade" IIRC)

>  I think it's also rumored to be like the brussel sprouts of desert
> -- you can't leave the table until you've finished it and it's mushy, and
> made of stale bread.  (I think I read a kids' story about that once.)

I don't remember ever having been punished for not finishing a
*dessert* - then again, we never had bread pudding for dessert at
home. My mother didn't believe in it, I think. I remember endless
fruit yogurt (which I liked as a kid, but I want it plain now and,
again, at breakfast instead of as dessert).

Brussels sprouts - I had to eat as many as I was years old, and when
I was about eight I had acquired the taste and wanted a full plate.
Same with broad beans. My kids have always liked both sprouts and
broad beans, so I never had to use that system. When they don't like
something, they have to taste a little bit to see if "their taste has
grown up" - my middle one (almost six) recently learned to like
spinach that way.

   Irina