Hey! An on-topic post!

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Tue Jul 3 16:45:17 EDT 2001

Hallie said...

> I've said before that I didn't like _Sudden Wild Magic_ much at all,
> and _Black Maria_ wasn't a big favourite, though I'm sure that one
> will be more interesting on a reread.  _Dogsbody_ was great in the
> canine parts, but wouldn't have made me a die-hard DWJite.  And I
> probably compound the damage by *liking* _The Crown of Dalemark_.

Uhhhh...what's wrong with like "The Crown of Dalemark"?  That's one of my
favourites!  "Black Maria" counts, for me, as one of those ones that are
sort of interesting, but not one that I want to re-read particularly often.
"Dogsbody" ditto (I don't even own a copy, though I do intend to buy it when
I have some spare cash).  "A Sudden Wild Magic" has its moments, but keeps
going and doing things that I didn't want it to.

The one I really don't like at all is "Cart and Cwidder", which just strikes
me as dull.  Nothing much seems to really happen, and as far as I'm
concerned, its only reason for existence is to provide necessary background
for "The Crown of Dalemark".

Then there's "Archer's Goon".  Most DWJ fans (including the rest of my
family) rave about this one.  Yes, it's good.  It's funny, it's well put
together, it works really well (and it gave my family the phrase "the
everything-but drawer).  But in my view, it isn't as good as "Fire and
Hemlock" (my utter favourite) or "Howl's Moving Castle" or "The Time of the
Ghost" or "Power of Three".

Ahen there's "Hexwood", which I found utterly confusing to begin with, and
it was only my trust in DWJ as an author that kept me reading through the
first few chapters.  Then it all began to make (sort of) sense, and I loved
it.  But I've only read it three times, and it's going to require more
readings than that.  Some DWJ books seem to require a *lot* of re-reading,
for me at least.

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian. (with an urge to re-read "Fire and Hemlock" yet again, but can't,
'cause I lent it to someone...)
--
Dorian E. Gray
israfel at eircom.net

"I feel that if a character cannot communicate, the very least he can do is
to shut up!"
--Tom Lehrer