Hey! An on-topic post!

Kyra Jucovy klj at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Mon Jul 2 23:37:34 EDT 2001

On Mon, 2 Jul 2001, Hallie O'Donovan wrote:

<snip!>
> I've said before that I didn't like _Sudden Wild Magic_ much at all,
> and _Black Maria_ wasn't a big favourite, though I'm sure that one
> will be more interesting on a reread.  _Dogsbody_ was great in the
> canine parts, but wouldn't have made me a die-hard DWJite.  And I
> probably compound the damage by *liking* _The Crown of Dalemark_.
>
> Hallie  (who may ease up to the shocking admission by these fairly
> painless ones)

Yay Crown of Dalemark!  Ummm. . . yes, more of that then it should be
comes from Navis, but Navis is perfect.  I can't help myself.  Anyway, I
like Maewen quite a bit, too, and, as sad as Duck is, I still quite enjoy
_reading_ about him.  It has one of my single favorite conversations ever,
the one between Navis and Alk, simply because it takes on _such_ different
meanings after finishing the book.  Yes, it was slightly disappointing
that this was the first DWJ book I ever managed to successfully guess most
of what happened at the end about - but I wonder to what extent that was
just because I was getting older.  And it makes up for that by not only
having the major villian spend most of the book as a horse (although it
may take knowledge of Usenet Robert Jordan culture to make that part
particularly valuable), but also making this figure-outable before it is
actually revealed (and no, I didn't figure it out before it was actually
revealed, but I realized it _could_ be on second reading).

						---Kyra