Moving, was Pop tarts was re Bread Pudding

Mon Jul 2 12:10:43 EDT 2001

On Sun, 01 Jul 2001 19:14:54 -0700, Rebecca Ganetzky wrote:

>Though I hate
>>moving, this is a lovely apartment, and its twice as large as the last one,
>>so there is a lot more room for bookshelves =).
>
>Now you've got me worried.  I move out to college in, drat, I was counting,
>really.  I'm a _good_ rebellious daughter.  (about two months) After reading
>Tam Lin I'm terrified of not having enough bookcase space.  I have
>nightmares wherein people tell me I can only bring ten novels to college and
>I wake up screaming.  On the positive said I've been using this as an excuse
>to inventorize my books (which of course involves rereading them, to give an
>objective rating of how good they are).  On the negative side it also
>involves giving books away :(...

I didn't take many books to college because I was going to live on campus
and at BYU those rooms are SMALL.  Even the larger places cram six people
into an apartment, ugh.  I don't know how we survived (actually, my first
dorm experience was a nightmare, so I suppose we didn't.  But the second was
fabulous, very close friends, and a roommate who introduced me to both
L.M.Bujold and Terry Pratchett....)

BUT think of it another way:  University libraries tend to be pretty good,
though not necessarily for science fiction--but you could get lucky.  The
BYU library, for example, has a wonderful YA section (not as good as Mesa
Arizona, but nothing is that good).  So it's not like you won't have
*access* if you get a really strong craving for something...and I remember
tracking down books I hadn't been able to find for years.  And never forget
Interlibrary Loan.  :)

>Which means if people want books, tell me,
>depending on how little room I'm going to have, I'm not necessarily giving
>away the best books in the world, and I'm mostly giving away kids's books
>and horror novels (horror was the "cool" thing in middle school.  For some
>unknown reason, I went with the trend...*_Goosebump_* books freak me out,
>even still) but if you want a list of what I'm giving away tell me and once
>I've figured all the books out I'll e-mail you off-list with what I'm giving
>away.

Me me me!  <conscience grumbles>

Okay, what I really think is that you shouldn't get rid of ANY books if you
can store them.  (True story:  I sold Steven Brust's _Jhereg_ in a fit of
prudishness over profanity, repented, and bought the *exact same book* back
two years later.  Strange coincidence that it hadn't gone anywhere...or
maybe people had bought it and sold it back to the same used paperback
store.)  Yeah, get rid of the awful ones, but be very generous about what
you keep.  Better to be overcrowded than to pay $50 ten years from now to
replace something you didn't know you'd want.

Jacob sold almost all his books when he went off to college.  He got 50
cents apiece for them and I think he made between $100-200, though I could
be exaggerating.  Ever since we combined our libraries upon entering the
blissful state of Matrimony (somewhere between the Utah and Idaho border, I
think it's located) we've complained about books he got rid of that are
impossible to find now.  Never mind that we would have had a lot of
duplicates....

This cautionary tale brought to you by
Melissa Proffitt
who gazes with great satisfaction