Maria Forte

Ven ven at vvcrane.fsnet.co.uk
Sun Jul 1 19:50:26 EDT 2001

Melissa wondered if a strong reading of Black Maria, making Aunt
maria sympathetic were possible (sorry, I can't find the original
post). I found this review on the alternet:

Aunt Maria is much more than the sweet old lady she appears to
be. She is a mage mistress who has kept the town of Cranbury
safe for generations. Once she was strong enough to defeat the
forces of evil and chaos, imprisoning their strongest sorceror
underground, now she is old and must find a successor.
She hopes this will be her great niece, Naomi, but she has already
suffered the betrayal of her own daughter, can she trust again?

When Maria takes in little Naomi, her brother Christopher
and their Mother she tries to teach them the disciplines they will
need to become guardians of Cranbury. Encouraged by the
corrupt Phelpses, chief minions of the evil one, the children rebel,
throwing Maria's kindness in her face. She has no choice but to
compel Christopher, the ring leader, into his true form - a wolf and
have him hunted down like the animal he is. Now she must win
back Naomi's trust,  and get back the box of power the children
stole, before the evil one can rise to destroy  all that she has
created.

Ven

"Any reader has the right to say of any text: "But I didn't think it was that good."

Samuel R Delany