OT: Mononoke

M Elizabeth Parks meparks at mtholyoke.edu
Mon Jan 29 13:52:12 EST 2001

tanaqui wrote:
but has anyone else bought the DVD of _Princess Mononoke_, which Disney
obligingly released with the Japanese track as well as the Neil Gaiman
dub? (after a huge online petition)

Um, no, not yet, because I wasn't entirely sure that the japanese track
was on it, and while I liked Billy Crudup's Ashitaka (and they censored me
when I wrote that on a wish list at amazon :6, believe it or not) I didn't
like the rest well enough.  I thought the translation was well done, but
some of the voice actors were pretty darn
awful. <coughclairedanescoughbillybobthornton>.  Keith David also rocked
in that, but that's just because Keith David is mad cool.  <GARGOYLES!  I
have still not forgiven Disney for canceling it.  Best American cartoon
EVER.  Not that I'm opinionated or anything.>

T:
Mine has a glitch about 12 or 13 minutes into it, which might be an
appallingly-placed layer-transition (usually located in a fade-to-black
or a quiet bit so as not to be horribly obvious). I'm not an anime-nut,
and I'm the first among my friends to start buying Miyazaki on DVD rather
than tape. If this isn't common to all the pressings, then I am going to
complain to my retailer, but if it's a poor layer-change it's tragically
unavoidable.

I would definitely suggest taking it back because I haven't heard anything
about that from anyone else and I have a lot of friends who are really
into anime.

It's actually really quite a coincidence that you wrote about this,
because I've just been writing a paper comparing Mononoke Hime (I'm sorry
but I have issues with the English title so I'm going to be all
pretentious and use the japanese.  don't you hate it?  I do) to Cormac
McCarthy's "The Crossing."  (part of the same series as "All the Pretty
Horses," which was made into a movie directed by dear ol' Billy Bob,
interestingly enough)  I'm going back and forth between that and a paper
on postfeminist reactionary fantasy heroines, in which I mention Sophie
from "Howl."  (in case you haven't noticed I love trying to find odd odd
ways to bring things on topic--it's sort of like playing the kevin bacon
game, y'know?)  which is why I had to post a reply even though I really
don't have an answer for you :^).

lizzie, who along with mono last semester seems to have had a bad bad case
of anime nut-itis <coughs and hides fushigi yuugi wallpaper>

February is:
American Heart Month     African American History Month
Library Lovers' Month    Low Vision Awareness Month
Canned Foods Month       International Embroidery Month
National Dental Month    National Weddings Month
American History Month   National Wild Bird Feeding Month
National Cherry Month    Celebration of Chocolate Month
Potato Lovers Month      National Snack Food Month
Return Shopping Carts to the Supermarket Month

					--www.uselessknowledge.com