OT: angels

Tanaqui tweaver at imbolc.ucc.ie
Mon Jan 29 11:56:48 EST 2001

The Aramaic for Peter is Cephas, isn't it? Shimon-Cephas?

Big discussion of "heylel" and how accurately it translates as "morning star"
http://www.mindspring.com/~understand/BIB/l1.htm

(the "ben shachar" bit is "Son of the Dawn" when taken in the phrase, and seems
 to be an amplification or redundancy)

Basically, the septuagint plumped for "heosphorus" to translate "heylel". This
becomes "Lucifer" [as son of Aurora] when St. Jerome writes up the Vulgate, and
the makers of the St. James Bible left it at that rather than going for a more
quotidian "Morning Star" or similar. Of course, our culture's Morning Star,
unveiled as the planet Venus, is a little more female than the text demands.
The original 1611 edition has a note pegging Lucifer to the star and not to
Satan. Apart from Satan being some sort of fallen celestial being, the yoking
of his name with Lucifer's seems a bit odd. Luke's gospel claims that Satan
fell "like lightning", although goodness only knows what is translated there.

Gili:
+ Maybe Lucifer is an attempt to translate Melchior/Malkior: "king of light";
+ but I can't think off the top of my head where this name appears in the
+ Bible.

Does it appear at all? I seem to recall that the magi aren't named in the
Bible. It's certainly not in the relevant bit of Isaiah. Is Melech-or linked
with Venus or the Morning Star in Hebrew? (Melchior is in Persian) You could
probably link Balthazar to Ba'al, at a stretch (theosophy does).

Of course, Melchior was *following* a bright star, not claiming to be one.

Occasionally, Jesus is called "morning star", but it's not an unwarranted
conceit to Christians. Try Revelations 22:16 (last page of the King James
version!). For non-Xtians, the site cited above lists all the ways in which
Jesus resembles the Babylonian King denounced by Isaiah.

This reminds me of the word translated differently in various bits of the Bible
and with more contradictory embedded translators' opinions: it's "witch" or
sometimes "poisoner" in the Old Testament, with its "jealous god", but is much
milder in New Testament translations.

Tanaqui

Thesophical examinations of the mysteries of Light (e.g. magi like Melchior):
http://www.theosociety.org/pasadena/et/et-36.htm
Theosophical dictionary:
http://www.theosociety.org/pasadena/etgloss/mas-me.htm