Serafina, origin of and angels

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Mon Jan 29 08:08:30 EST 2001

>>(I'd be interested to know what the Hebrew version of 14:12 says. The
>>Latin version as well, since "Lucifer" is Latin.)
>
>Looking in the Hebrew version, I have:
>
>"Eich nafalta mishamayim heylel ben-shachar ..."
>
>The how art thou fallen bit is fine, "ben-shachar" does mean "son of
>dawn", but I have no idea what that "heylel" is doing there. It
>looks like a name, from the same root as the "Hillel" bit of my
>surname, which basically means praise or exultation ("Halleluya"
>means "praise the lord"). I've never studied this passage and I
>don't have an annotated bible here...

Really getting in over my head here, but my Bible has this note on v.12:

"From aspirations for divinity (compare Gen.11.4-8), he falls to the
anonymity of Sheol.  Canaanite mythological background is reflected
in Day Star and Dawn (Hebrew "Helal" and "Shahar", names of
deities)..."

If that is even remotely useful...

Hallie (who _should_ be re-reading Frankenstein, but would rather not.