Serafina, origin of and angels

Gili Bar-Hillel abhillel at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 29 13:36:17 EST 2001

Paul wrote:

>The first official English translation of the Bible (the King James
>version, as it is known) contained the following passage:
>
>"How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how
>art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations! For
>thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt
>my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of
>the congregation, in the sides of the north: I will ascend above the
>heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High. Yet thou shalt be
>brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit."
>(Isaiah, ch 14, v 12-15)
>As far as I know, it's the only occasion on which "Lucifer" appears in
>the Bible.

And asked:

>(I'd be interested to know what the Hebrew version of 14:12 says. The
>Latin version as well, since "Lucifer" is Latin.)

Looking in the Hebrew version, I have:

"Eich nafalta mishamayim heylel ben-shachar ..."

The how art thou fallen bit is fine, "ben-shachar" does mean "son of dawn",
but I have no idea what that "heylel" is doing there. It looks like a name,
from the same root as the "Hillel" bit of my surname, which basically means
praise or exultation ("Halleluya" means "praise the lord"). I've never
studied this passage and I don't have an annotated bible here...