Place names

Laurel Lamme lalamme at ufl.edu
Mon Jan 29 07:18:57 EST 2001

Nat Case wrote:

> >Here's some for your enunciation pleasure from where I grew up:
> >Monongahela, Allegheny, Punxatawney, Youghiogheny, Ligonier,
> >Lackawanna, Susquehanna, Cuyahoga.  Iroquois is a favorite of mine
> >as well.
>
> from up our way in Minnesota:
> Menominee, Winnebigoshish, Ontonagon, Oconomowoc, Kandiyohi, and the
> old name for Lake Superior: Gitchi-Gummi
>
> I'm also very fond of New England Indian place names: Androscoggin,
> Penobscot, Winnipesaukee, Kancamagus, and my favorite, Woonsocket.

My family had a collie named Winnipesaukee.

Some names I've always loved around Florida:
Ichetucknee, Okeechobee, Suwannee, Micanopy, Apalachicola,
Alachua.  And just over the border in Georgia, the Okeefenokee,
which always makes me think of "Spice Pogrom" by Connie Willis -
one of the funniest stories I've read.

Anna Skarzynska wrote:

> No idea on that one (and I tried!), but does anyone remember the ad for
> Worcestershire sauce, where a Southern US woman (she was black, I don't know
> whether that affects accent in US?) was cooking something Southern and
> talked about adding "Worchester shire sauce"? (It's Wooster here, to my
> great surprise and delight) And Gloucester = Gloster.
> Ania

I'd really like to know the correct pronunciation for
Worcestershire sauce, to use in an old popular song called
"You're the Cream in my Coffee."  I love strange metaphors, and
the song is just full of them.  If I recall correctly, the
relevant lyrics went:

You give life savor,
Bring out each flavor,
So one thing's clear, dear,
You're my Worcestershire, dear!

So does Worcestershire really come out rhyming with clear?  And
how many syllables does it have?

Laurel