Serafina, origin of and angels

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Mon Jan 29 06:33:55 EST 2001

On Sun, 28 Jan 2001, Dorian E. Gray wrote:

> Tanaqui explained...
>
> > Lucifer is Latinate. "fer" is from "ferro, ferre, tuli, latum",
> > one of the few weird verbs in Latin (ferre=to bring). He's the
> > Bringer of Light, and is associated with the dawn. He certainly
> > didn't last long...
>
> Yeah, I know he's the Lightbringer (and the Morning Star).  But if
> Lucifer is Bringer of Light in Latin, what would his name be in
> Hebrew?  Does he exist in the old Hebrew texts, or is he a later
> invention?

I don't know if this is the definitive Origin, but it's related...

The first official English translation of the Bible (the King James
version, as it is known) contained the following passage:

"How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how
art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations! For
thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt
my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of
the congregation, in the sides of the north: I will ascend above the
heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High. Yet thou shalt be
brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit."

(Isaiah, ch 14, v 12-15)

As it happens, this is part of a message God gave to the human king of
Babylon, but it's often quoted out of context and assumed to be about
You-Know-Who.

As far as I know, it's the only occasion on which "Lucifer" appears in
the Bible.

(I'd be interested to know what the Hebrew version of 14:12 says. The
Latin version as well, since "Lucifer" is Latin.)

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."