Serafina, origin of and angels

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Mon Jan 29 06:07:59 EST 2001

On Sun, 28 Jan 2001, Gili Bar-Hillel wrote:

> I'm not familiar with the new testament, but Jesus probably says
> "lamma azavtani" or "lamma zanachtani" ("why have you left me" or
> "why have you abandoned me").

In my copy of the Bible, Matthew has "Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani" and
Mark has "Eloi, Eloi, lema sabachthani".
In both, it's followed by the translation "My God, my God, why did you
abandon me?"

(Luke and John each have something completely different.)

I seem to recall that neither Matthew nor Mark wrote their gospels in
Hebrew, which is why when each has Jesus' last words in Hebrew, it's
followed immediately by a translation.
This nugget of recollection may or may not be relevant.

(Curiousity flashes a fin: does the old pun about Peter being the rock
that supports the church work in Hebrew?)

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."