Serafina origin of and angels

M Elizabeth Parks meparks at mtholyoke.edu
Sun Jan 28 22:22:04 EST 2001

"Following Sally's Ang EL I have to point out Isra EL as well."

Well, Israel is, I believe, named after Jacob, who was given the name
Israel after wrestling with an angel; the name is traditionally associated
with the twelve tribes of Israel, desending from his twelve sons.  Israel
means "contender with god" or something like that.  When I looked that up,
I noticed that the name Eli derives from the hebrew word `eli, meaning
"high, ascent."  Which I thought was interesting.

Lizzie

btw, ELizabeth means "God is my oath." (elisheba`)