Serafina, origin of and angels

Gili Bar-Hillel abhillel at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 28 17:45:23 EST 2001

>From: "Anna Skarzynska" <theania at freeuk.com>
>I thought that there must be a connection with God, like in Emanuel, and in
>Genesis you get Elohim, don't you? And there is that question of two
>separate creation stories in Genesis... but I digress. Is the el in the
>angels' names the same one? And I just remembered that when Jesus dies on
>the cross he cries out something like "Eli, Eli, lamma sabachtani". Same el
>again?

Not meaning to offend anyone's religious sensibilities, the goal is to
educate, not to take the name in vain!

"el" is just a generic word for god, any god - in plural, "elim". False gods
or idols are usually called "elil"(singular) "elilim"(plural) which is the
diminutive form of the same word. "Elohim" usually refers only to THE God,
and it is treated as singular even though the word is in plural form
(similarly, "adonai" is translated as "my lord" even though it actually
means "my lords"). So I guess I'd say "El" is god, "Elohim" is God. "Eli" is
the possesive form of "el" - "my god". I'm not familiar with the new
testament, but Jesus probably says "lamma azavtani" or "lamma zanachtani"
("why have you left me" or "why have you abandoned me").

Emanuel/Immanuel means "God is with us". Some names start with "El" instead
of ending with it, such as Elijah/Eliyahu: "my god is Y_".

The two creation stories interpretation arose because some chapters in
Genesis simply refer to God while other chapters actually name God.