Serafina, origin of and angels

Gili Bar-Hillel abhillel at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 25 23:30:12 EST 2001

> >Gabriel
> >Daniel
> >Michael (pronounced in Hebrew Mee-kha-el)
> >Ariel
>
>Raphael, Uriel...
>Not that I know. It has to to with the meanings of the names, hasn't it?
>I used to know the significances of the archangels' names... Help?

"el" means god. The prefixes all mean different things.
They can be interpreted a bit differently, but I would guess:

Gabriel - was overcome by god
Daniel - was judged by god
Michael - who is as god?
Ariel - lion of god
Raphael - healed by god
Uriel - light of god

This whole set of names contains some of my favorite names, for girls as
well as boys (Gabriela or Gabrielle for a girl - though it's increasingly
fashionable just to treat the names as unisex...)