Serafina, origin of and angels

Jacob Proffitt Jacob at Proffitt.com
Thu Jan 25 17:38:00 EST 2001

On Thu, 25 Jan 2001 11:55:14 , Gili Bar-Hillel wrote:

>Have we discussed here how all Angels' names end with "el":
>
>Gabriel
>Daniel
>Michael (pronounced in Hebrew Mee-kha-el)
>Ariel
>
>etc.?

Okay, I should state up front that I don't know Hebrew at all, but I *have*
known the meaning of some Hebrew names.  El means God as far as I can tell.
Beth-el means house of God (and is the name of many Jewish synagogues).
Jacob's name was changed to Israel meaning Let God Prevail (or One who
Prevails with God).  Michael means Who is Like God.  Daniel is A Judge (is)
God (the "is" is implied).  Gabriel means Man of God.  Ariel means Altar of
God.

Don't think I knew those off the top of my head.  I looked em up in my handy
dandy Bible Dictionary.

Makes sense that an Angel's name would contain the word for God...

Jacob