Serafina, origin of and angels

Anna Skarzynska theania at freeuk.com
Thu Jan 25 15:46:02 EST 2001

Gili wrote:
> > Have we discussed here how all Angels' names end with "el":
> >
> > Gabriel
> > Daniel
> > Michael (pronounced in Hebrew Mee-kha-el)
> > Ariel
Dorian:
> Doesn't the "el" syllable mean something like "God" or "Light"?  (And if
the
> latter, wouldn't that mean that Lucifer's name was anglicised from
something
> else?  What?)
I thought that there must be a connection with God, like in Emanuel, and in
Genesis you get Elohim, don't you? And there is that question of two
separate creation stories in Genesis... but I digress. Is the el in the
angels' names the same one? And I just remembered that when Jesus dies on
the cross he cries out something like "Eli, Eli, lamma sabachtani". Same el
again?
This is a good point to re-recommend "The Prophecy", starring Christopher
Walken, to anyone even vaguely interested in angels.
Ania