Kookaburra

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Thu Jan 25 13:53:36 EST 2001

Sallyo said...

> There's considerable doubt about whether a kangaroo really
> *is* a kangaroo. That is, whether the word (which was probably more like
> kannaru) really refers to the animal at all.

I heard a story (almost certainly apocryphal) to the effect that early
European visitors to Australia saw a kangaroo for the first time and
promptly asked a convenient native "what's that?".  The native replied "kan
guru", meaning (allegedly) "I don't know".  Or maybe "I don't understand
you".  And so the kangaroo got its name. :-)

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--
Dorian E. Gray