Place names was Fire and Hemlock revisited or maybe not

Ven ven at vvcrane.fsnet.co.uk
Thu Jan 25 13:43:40 EST 2001

Ven:
> Now, try and guess
> > the pronunciation of this Sheffield place name -- "Beauchief"
>
> okay:
>
> Beecham
>
> (I like to throw that in because I met someone named Beauchamp - it was very
> confusing.  How can your nickname be Bo and your name be Beecham?)

Nope

> Bewkey

Nowhere near

> Bokey?

Nah

> Bewchay?  Bewcheff?

Closer

> Bewley?
>
> Buckley?
>
> Bewsey?

Wise to give up, Elise!

Then Sally suggested Bo -cheef or perhaps Bor- sheff.......

It is, in fact, Bechiff, with the emphasis on the "Be".

The hapless tourists were asking me for the Beauchief Hotel,
pronouncing it as German accented French, which I didn't
understand at all at first. The penny only dropped after I'd firmly told
them I'd never heard of the place....... I had to call them back and
try to explain that I did know where they'd meant really and it was
just up the road and was pronounced Bechiff, honest. They didn't
look convinced.

                                           Ven.