Serafina, origin of and angels

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Thu Jan 25 13:43:14 EST 2001

Gill said...

> What I do find interesting is the vastly different connotations that
> "cherub" has in English or Hebrew (as in angel, not as in cabbage). An
> English cherub is a chubby baby with silly little downy wings. But the
> golden cherubim (cherub is singular, cherubim plural) protecting
> the ark in
> Solomon's temple are assumed to have looked more like winged sphynxes. Go
> figure. And then there's Madeline L'engles idea of a cherub in "A Wind at
> the Door" - a sort of hodgepodge of multiple wings and eyes.

Uh...I thought that was one of the others - the Principality, possibly.  I
know I read a description (and/or saw a picture) of one of the seven choirs
that fit that.  Or maybe it was the Ophanim.  (What's the singular of
Ophanim, btw?  Ophan?  Ophanite?)

> Have we discussed here how all Angels' names end with "el":
>
> Gabriel
> Daniel
> Michael (pronounced in Hebrew Mee-kha-el)
> Ariel

Doesn't the "el" syllable mean something like "God" or "Light"?  (And if the
latter, wouldn't that mean that Lucifer's name was anglicised from something
else?  What?)

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--