Serafina, origin of and angels

Gili Bar-Hillel abhillel at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 25 11:55:14 EST 2001

>From: "Anna Skarzynska" <theania at freeuk.com>
> > cherubim - in modern Hebrew this would be pronounced "kruvim". Then
>again,
> > in modern Hebrew the word is more commonly used to denote cabbages...
>
>Any idea why?

Just a coincidence, I guess. The dictionary offered no insights.
What I do find interesting is the vastly different connotations that
"cherub" has in English or Hebrew (as in angel, not as in cabbage). An
English cherub is a chubby baby with silly little downy wings. But the
golden cherubim (cherub is singular, cherubim plural) protecting the ark in
Solomon's temple are assumed to have looked more like winged sphynxes. Go
figure. And then there's Madeline L'engles idea of a cherub in "A Wind at
the Door" - a sort of hodgepodge of multiple wings and eyes.

> > And the most common word, basically the only word still used in modern
> > Hebrew to denote angels is "malachim" - literally, "messengers".
> >
>I like that. Is that the origin of the name Malachy?

Yes.

Have we discussed here how all Angels' names end with "el":

Gabriel
Daniel
Michael (pronounced in Hebrew Mee-kha-el)
Ariel

etc.?