Fire & Hemlock Revisited (or maybe not...)

Wed Jan 24 19:30:23 EST 2001

On Tue, 23 Jan 2001 18:56:40 +1100, Sally Odgers wrote:

>>Mass-a-chew-setts.  Just like it's spelled.  :)  T
>
>So I gathered, after the BeeGees started up!
>
>>(I love Native American words.  Potawatomie.  Oneida.  Algonquin.
>>Iroquois.)
>

>Umm - how about Nabageena, Winnaleah, Wangaratta, Wagga Wagga (a sounded as
>o) , Catagunya,  Cethana (soft C), Lileah, Kooreeup, Cooee, Kurumburra and
>Pyangana?  All except the two I marked are pronounced exactly as thay're
>spelled.

And aren't these all Aboriginal names?  I think part of the appeal is that
"isolated" languages don't have any obvious derivations.  I mean, an English
speaker can look at French words and German words and Spanish words and so
forth, and can see similarities to English.  But American Indian languages
(and Australian aboriginal) are almost alien.  (Am I using the right
referent there?  My knowledge about Australia ends just past kookaburra sits
in the old gum tree and "Waltzing Matilda", for which, speaking in another
thread about SF fandom, there is another set of verses entirely.)

Melissa Proffitt,
heading off to cook dinner again :(