de-lurking for Bimbos

Wed Jan 24 19:23:11 EST 2001

On Wed, 24 Jan 2001 18:31:02 -0500, McMullin, Elise wrote:

>if I went to a con I'm not sure if I would fit in - I don't think I would
>posture as being above it all, but you know, I only know what I like.  I
>don't have encyclopedic knowledge like my Star Wars friend. I'm not sure I
>would know enough to get to play.

I don't feel I'd fit in well either, though I do like my fannish friends
very much.  I know most of them got involved with fandom when they were
teens, and they say that it provided them with a refuge and a kinship they
didn't get anywhere else.  When I was that age, I had two things that
supplied that kinship for me: a group of like-minded friends, and an older
mentor who showed me the possibilities for a serious approach to speculative
fiction.  Both of those were far more geographically accessible than
traveling to cons.  :)

I think, also, the very concept of fandom seems strange to me, like there's
something I'm just not getting.  Like having a Guest of Honor at a con whose
claim to fame is their fannish activity.

BUT I'm getting away from what I *intended* to say, which is that my
favorite book describing fandom is Larry Niven et.al.'s _Fallen Angels_,
about a future in which SF and technology has been driven underground, and
when two men from a space habitat crash-land on earth, the fans come out in
force to rescue them.  I understand it's even better if you're in the know
about fandom.

Melissa Proffitt