de-lurking for Bimbos

McMullin, Elise emcmullin at kl.com
Wed Jan 24 18:31:02 EST 2001

On Wed, 24 Jan 2001 12:30:53 -0500, Jessie Bishop Powell wrote:

>Did you know _Bimbos of the Death Sun_ has a sequel? I think it's  _Zombies
>of the Gene Pool_, but I can't remember and may have the title wrong.

The friend who loaned me the first one mentioned it to me just when you sent
your email.  A definite must for me, although as you will see I agree with
Melissa about the astringency factor.

Melissa:
"My experience with _Bimbos of the Death Sun_ was different when I re-read
it
after getting to know more people who are involved with fandom...it seemed
more mean-spirited the second time."

The woman who loaned it to me is a huge Star Wars fanatic (for the holidays
I got her an Akira Kurasawa film that was supposed to be Lucas's biggest
influence - for the true aficionado).  But after reading Bimbos her greatest
desire is now to go to a Con.  Once we were waiting in line for opening
night of the re-release of Empire Strikes Back and the fellow behind us
tried to pick her up.  His business card said "Jedi Knight."  hee hee.
Getting really off track here.

It reminded me of that old SNL skit where Shatner is guest host and he's
speaking at a Con and says "You!" (pointing to a Spock in the audience)
"Have you ever kissed a girl?" and the poor fellow hangs his head.

"There's also the section where the main
female character attends the Star Trek wedding, and talks about how they're
going to live in this tiny little apartment, walls lined with books, and
it's such an awful fate, and I realized, "Hey!  That was ME ten years ago!"
Disturbing."

I read that part and thought "Sounds good to me!" After all, what is more
key than one being surrounded by creature comforts?  If your idea of the
ultimate creature comfort happens to be a book, then that is a happy fate.
My boyfriend, who has been a devoted wargamer since birth, just finished
Bimbos (it's making the rounds at a brisk pace) and said "some of it struck
a bit close to the knuckle."

But I thought it was interesting how the two main characters, Jay and
Marion, interacted at their first Con.  Marion was portrayed as having been
a natural con person in the past and someone who had spent some years
distancing herself from all that - and what is she? A professor of sci-fi!
She never, as a character, has a realization about that - and how it
connects to a discomfort with herself. And Jay is afraid someone from the
University will see him and he will be covered in humiliation - but then he
is admired.  They are uptight, but it is part of the fun because we see
things refracted partly through their uptight eyes.  I liked the switches in
p.o.v. between old timers and newbies for that reason.

And I did like the author's sense of humor, but even after finishing I still
remain wary of it, so sharp was it.  She balances on an edge of wanting to
be above all that and clearly loving every minute of it.  Like Marion?  And
if I went to a con I'm not sure if I would fit in - I don't think I would
posture as being above it all, but you know, I only know what I like.  I
don't have encyclopedic knowledge like my Star Wars friend. I'm not sure I
would know enough to get to play.

The Con in Deep Secret sounded more possible for me. I remember when Maree
is looking around and she sees a bunch of women who look pretty average and
nice - there's me, I expect, over on the left.  And she thinks how everyone
looks fun to know.