Place Names was Fire amd Hemlock revisited or maybe not

Anna Skarzynska theania at freeuk.com
Wed Jan 24 16:52:44 EST 2001

> Sally wrote
> >   In
> > Tasmania we have Sheffield (we say Sheff - ee- eld) and Railton (we say
> > Rail-ton), Launceston (we say Lon - sess - ton) Richmond, Devonport,
> > Ulverstone (Ulv-er-ston) Bicheno (Bee-sh'n-o) and Beaconsfield
> > (Bee-cons-field).
>
> Some of these pronunciations have definitely shifted:
>
> Sheffield = Sheff-eeld,  we also call  it "Sheffie, do Aussies do that
> too?
>
> Launceston = Lawnceton
>
> Ulverston seems unchanged.
>
> Beaconsfield = Beckonsfield
>
> There's probably more than one way to pronounce some of these --
> people still argue about "Derby" for example. Now, try and guess
> the pronunciation of this Sheffield place name -- "Beauchief", its a
> cause of much confusion between locals and non locals, and once
> made me look a total idiot in front of some poor German tourists
>                                            Ven.
No idea on that one (and I tried!), but does anyone remember the ad for
Worcestershire sauce, where a Southern US woman (she was black, I don't know
whether that affects accent in US?) was cooking something Southern and
talked about adding "Worchester shire sauce"? (It's Wooster here, to my
great surprise and delight) And Gloucester = Gloster.
Ania