Place Names was Fire amd Hemlock revisited or maybe not

Ven ven at vvcrane.fsnet.co.uk
Wed Jan 24 16:16:24 EST 2001

Date sent:      	Wed, 24 Jan 2001 00:04:11 -0500
From:           	owner-dwj-digest at suberic.net (dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones))
To:             	dwj-digest at suberic.net
Subject:        	dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #262
Send reply to:  	dwj at suberic.net
Sally wrote
>   In
> Tasmania we have Sheffield (we say Sheff - ee- eld) and Railton (we say
> Rail-ton), Launceston (we say Lon - sess - ton) Richmond, Devonport,
> Ulverstone (Ulv-er-ston) Bicheno (Bee-sh'n-o) and Beaconsfield
> (Bee-cons-field).

Some of these pronunciations have definitely shifted:

Sheffield = Sheff-eeld,  we also call  it "Sheffie, do Aussies do that
too?

Launceston = Lawnceton

Ulverston seems unchanged.

Beaconsfield = Beckonsfield

There's probably more than one way to pronounce some of these --
people still argue about "Derby" for example. Now, try and guess
the pronunciation of this Sheffield place name -- "Beauchief", its a
cause of much confusion between locals and non locals, and once
made me look a total idiot in front of some poor German tourists
                                           Ven.