Massachusetts OT

M Elizabeth Parks meparks at mtholyoke.edu
Tue Jan 23 23:34:33 EST 2001

Our Grade 5 teacher said it was Bo - add - a - see - a but she might have
been wrong. She said you pronounced Massachusetts  (or however you spell
that state) as Mass - a  chew - sa.

Sallyo.

Hmm.  That's better than what my cousin told me when I was about
five: "it's mass o' two shits!" he swore (forgive my language, please,
thought I imagine you've all heard worse).  I went off to college in
Massachusetts still inclined to say it that way if I didn't think *real*
hard first, and afraid that I'd insult people from the state.  Upon
arriving in South Hadley, MA (postal abbrev. for Massachusetts, btw),
where I go to school, I discovered that they call each other
Massholes. . . . at least when driving.  My philosophy can now be summed
up by the phrase "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em."

lizzie