Fire & Hemlock Revisited (or maybe not...)

Sally Odgers sodgers at hotnet.net.au
Tue Jan 23 20:59:11 EST 2001

>Does Australia also have the pronunciation and spelling shifts that
>have happened her in the US? I was looking at Swanzey (Swansea,
>presumably), New Hampshire just now, and there's a long line of
>mangled French place names:

I expect we do, but because I hear the Australian names far more often than
the originals (which I usually read rather than hear) I really couldn't say.
I was really surprised to find some of "our" names overseas when I was a
teen! (I don't mean I went overseas, just that my reading expanded.)  In
Tasmania we have Sheffield (we say Sheff - ee- eld) and Railton (we say
Rail-ton), Launceston (we say Lon - sess - ton) Richmond, Devonport,
Ulverstone (Ulv-er-ston) Bicheno (Bee-sh'n-o) and Beaconsfield
(Bee-cons-field).

Have those shifted?

Sallyo.