Fire and Hemlock revisited

HSchinske at aol.com HSchinske at aol.com
Tue Jan 23 19:49:12 EST 2001

In a message dated 1/22/2001 11:18:41 PM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-dwj-digest at suberic.net writes:

> >ISTR that the correct pronounciation is something like
>  >"Boo dik ka".
>

>  Our Grade 5 teacher said it was Bo - add - a - see - a but she might have
>  been wrong. She said you pronounced Massachusetts  (or however you spell
>  that state) as Mass - a  chew - sa.
>
>  Sallyo.

The original (or at least a better-guess version thereof) was Boudicca,
pronounced Boo dik ka, and Boadicea was the Latinized form, about which
Sally's Grade 5 teacher was right, though of course she was dead wrong about
Massachusetts. Reminds me of Sister Something who taught year after year
about the Sioux Indians, pronounced Sigh-yucks.

Helen Schinske