Boadicea

Ven ven at vvcrane.fsnet.co.uk
Tue Jan 23 17:08:02 EST 2001

> Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 00:12:58 -0700
> From: Melissa Proffitt <Melissa at Proffitt.com>
> Subject: Re: Fire & Hemlock Revisited (or maybe not...)
>
> On Tue, 23 Jan 2001 18:03:10 +1100, Sally Odgers wrote:
>
> >>ISTR that the correct pronounciation is something like
> >>"Boo dik ka".
>
> >Our Grade 5 teacher said it was Bo - add - a - see - a but she might have
> >been wrong.
>
> That's how I first heard it, but since then I've seen it actually spelled
> "Bodicca" and several other ways.  Me, I try to avoid reading that one out
> loud.  However I say it, I'm sure to get it wrong.

At primary school in England we were taught to say it Bo-di-sea-a,
then at some point academics decided Boo-di-ka was more correct
and everyone from my latin teacher to telly academics tried to
remember to say it like that. There was a story going round in
archaeological circles about Sir Mortimer Wheeler, the excavator of
Maiden Castle and  TV expert. He once grandly corrected an
interviewer's  old style  pronunciation,  only to forget and call her
Bo-di-sea-a himself a few minutes later. When the interviewer
pointed this out Sir Mortimer replied, "Sir, I have known the lady for
a lot longer than you,  long enough to call her whatever I like." (or
words to that effect). So, however you say it, stick to your guns
and you'll always be right!

                                           Ven.