Fire & Hemlock Revisited (or maybe not...)

Nat Case ncase at hedbergmaps.com
Tue Jan 23 16:18:35 EST 2001

>Here's some for your enunciation pleasure from where I grew up:
>Monongahela, Allegheny, Punxatawney, Youghiogheny, Ligonier,
>Lackawanna, Susquehanna, Cuyahoga.  Iroquois is a favorite of mine
>as well.

from up our way in Minnesota:
Menominee, Winnebigoshish, Ontonagon, Oconomowoc, Kandiyohi, and the
old name for Lake Superior: Gitchi-Gummi

I'm also very fond of New England Indian place names: Androscoggin,
Penobscot, Winnipesaukee, Kancamagus, and my favorite, Woonsocket.

Near my late grandparents' house in NW Connecticut are lakes
Waramaug, Shepaug and Lillinonah. And now I live near the immortal
Minnehaha falls and Lake Minnetonka.

One of the bits I liked about Orson Scott Card's Alvin Maker books
was the rephrasing of (to American ears) familiar place names to
emphasize their Indian origin: Potty-mack for the Potomac River,
Irrakwa for Iroquois, etc. Made you step back a moment and think.

---

Does Australia also have the pronunciation and spelling shifts that
have happened her in the US? I was looking at Swanzey (Swansea,
presumably), New Hampshire just now, and there's a long line of
mangled French place names:

Calais, Maine (pronounced like "Callous")
Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin ("Prairie da Sheen")
The twin towns of Montpelier and Barre, Vermont (rhymes with "aunt
peel yer" and "Larry")
and on and on...