DWJ books in Germany

Gili Bar-Hillel abhillel at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 23 20:51:31 EST 2001

>Thank you for reminding me why I hate translations so much.  Why, oh why,
>do
>they have to change the title?  Particularly with things that give plot
>elements away?

Much as I agree, particularly about some of these titles, sometimes there
really isn't much choice! I'm wracking my brains over what to call "Charmed
Life" and "The Lives of Christopher Chant" in Hebrew. "Charmed Life" ends up
being "Life of Magic" which both literally and figuratively loses the charm.
"The Lives of Christopher Chant" falls flat because "Life" in Hebrew is
already plural - so should we call it "The multiple lives of Christopher
Chant"? "The nine souls of Christopher Chant?" My point being, the literal
translation is sometimes far from the best translation.

Which is not to say there aren't better solutions that "we're crazy about
witching"...