DLOD, YOTG -- Families

Nat Case ncase at hedbergmaps.com
Tue Jan 23 10:01:52 EST 2001

>Secondly something I know has been touched on before but I've
>forgotten by whom(/who, help!) that DWJ has done large chaotic
>families before. I can think of Hathaway's in AG and Will's in DS.
>Both of these are peripheral to the text and rather protected from
>their own worlds.

In HOMEWARD BOUNDERS you see an outsider's view of a large family, as
Jamie wistfully looks at large households on some of his travels. In
POWER OF THREE, there's a sense of "well if I sneak out no-one will
know the difference". It is true though that she generally deals with
only children or small families, and so in a way the neglect her
child characters experience is all the more indictable.

Really, on thinking about it, an awful lot of kids' fantasy is
written about only or lonely children. Kind of target market for the
genre...

Nat